Middlesbrough Town Hall was officially opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales on 23 January 1889.
Its reputation as a respected entertainment venue began with the grand concert hall, which featured a custom-built organ by the prestigious William Hill and Son.
Performers from across the world flocked to the Town Hall, including the Russian virtuoso pianist, Sergei Rachmaninov, who appeared not once but twice, in 1911 and 1939; Dame Nellie Melba; Johann Strauss, and Sir Edward Elgar with the London Symphony Orchestra.
Over the years, the Town Hall has also played host to many great names in music, including blues guitar legend Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Oasis, Bowie, The Clash, AC/DC, and Robbie Williams.
In April 2016, they closed their doors for almost two years to undertake a £7.7m refurbishment, funded by Middlesbrough Council and the Heritage Fund.
After operating as a pillar of the local community for over 125 years, the Town Hall has undergone extensive renovations, restoring rarely seen elements of the Grade II listed building, and allowing its rich narrative to continue.
The renovations have seen the grand concert hall restored to its former glory, as well as the opening up of fascinating areas that haven’t been seen by the public in decades. These areas include the old police cells, courtroom, and fire station, as well as the spectacular carriage driveway.
Middlesbrough Town Hall
View on Google Maps >
Middlesbrough Town Hall is in the centre of Middlesbrough, and is easy to find. To plan a journey from anywhere in the country, visit Connect Tees Valley.
You can reach Middlesbrough by bus from towns and cities across the Tees Valley and the north east. To plan a journey by bus, visit Connect Tees Valley.
Middlesbrough Town Hall is a five minute walk from the bus station, and the bus station is also served by a taxi rank directly outside via the entrance/exit onto Newport Road.
You can reach Middlesbrough by rail from towns and cities across the north east and the Tees Valley. To plan a journey by rail, visit Connect Tees Valley.
Middlesbrough Town Hall is a ten minute walk from the rail station, and the rail station is also served by a taxi rank directly outside via the accessible entrance/exit onto Bridge Street West.
If you are driving to Middlesbrough Town Hall there are lots of car parks available within a short distance of the venue.
COUNCIL CAR PARKS
All council car parks are free after 6pm. Those close to the Town Hall include mima, on-street at Corporation Road, on-street at Albert Road, on-street at Baker and Bedford Streets, France Street (white bays), Buxton Street, and Gurney Street. See more about parking in Middlesbrough town centre.
Visitors to the Town Hall during the evening can park at the nearby Cleveland Centre car park for just £1.50 between 6pm and midnight. Parking all day on a Sunday is just £1.20 for a full day.
DISABLED (BLUE BADGE) PARKING
Blue Badge holders can park free of charge in any bay in Council operated car parks (apart from the designated electric vehicle-only bays in Zetland and Captain Cook Square multi-storey car parks).
Legislation also allows Blue Badge holders to park free of charge and without time limit in any on-street pay and display or limited waiting parking bays. This is clearly stated in the guidance issued to all blue badge holders when they receive or renew their badges.